Saturday 1 December 2012

Ok, Ok, here's the writing

It's saturday (I'm so clever) but I know it as "Counter Strike Saturday."  Over the last month I started this.  Let me clarify.  Counter-strike: source is a cult ten year old PC game that was originally a mod.  People still play on it today, including me.  I'm not sure when I started, but now every saturday at eight o clock I put the headphones on and prepare to play counter strike.  I have to admit, it's freaking fun.  Anyway, i'm doing this now because I got bored of counter strike early today.

In other news, there's a wind farm being built near my home.  Everyone thought that they were going to be terrible, they would be an eyesore and they would be so loud no one would be able to sleep.  They're absolutely awesome though. (I was never against them, by the way.  Alternative energy sources ARE the answer!) I think when people are about to say something bad about the wind farm they look at it and get hypnotized by the turbines spinning and then suddenly start spouting positive things about it.  it was their plan all along! Spread the word!!!

Thirdly, I've decided to start using twitter properly.  If you want to hear me talk about things in 140 characters (i'm opposed to the word limit by the way.  I'm very vivid in descriptions...) then go to my twittering account at the link below:
https://twitter.com/
I heard that people do flash fiction on twitter also, capitalizing the small word limit.  I might just have a go at that.

Ok, now, what everyone's been reading to.  Some writing.  Anyone here heard of a competition called "Around the world in 80 words?" Well you have now.  It's a short story contest for children from schools all around the UK to compete in, and like suggested in the title, the stories must be 80 words.  Yes, you heard me.  That's.... Difficult.  Not Mental maths difficult (Admit it, if someone asks you what "6+8 is" you need some time to think) but getting a cat in a santa hat difficult.  Anyway, I wound up writing 6 of them.  Here they are!

#1

You wake up to banging on the door.  As soon as you open your eyes you remember what happened last night.  Your heart leaps in panic and guilt.  The only memory you have is hazy.  You remember a flash of light and a scream.  On your bedside table is a gun.  It confirms your worst fears.  There’s another knock.  A voice from outside says they’re police.  They’re here.
Police at the door. Gun on the table. What do you do?



#2


If you don’t make it out of here then the world has ended.  All that you’ve done has lead up to this.  Now you need to escape.  As you vault a log you hear the harrowing swish of their capes.  They’re not far behind now.  You can see the clearing ahead.  You’re almost out. Weaving in and out of the giant trees, you suddenly stumble over something, a tree root.  You can’t get back up. 
It’s all over.

#3

The floor tremors and everyone is thrown around.  You hit the ground with a thump, your head spinning.
“The hull is almost breached!” Shouts the engineer.  You stagger up and peer at a monitor on the wall.  The hulking enemy ship is suspended in space. 
“We need to fire the missiles.” Says the strategist.  You need to issue the order.  No one on the ship can survive otherwise.  100 people on this ship, or 100 on the other.  Can you?

#4

You stumble across the burning room, coughing heavily as you do. You can hear the engulfing fire crackle, a noise so loud yet so quiet you can feel the heat up against your body, making you feel like it’s everywhere.  You can barely see through the smoke stinging your eyes.  You finally make it to the open window.  You have to jump out, or you’ll be killed in the fire. 
You climb onto the ledge, close your eyes, and jump.

#5

A monster’s howl.  A ghoul’s groan.  I’m sure something’s inside.  The sheets are drenched in sweat.  It’s just the wind.  It’s just the pipes, I tell myself, but I don’t believe it.  The floorboards creak.  It came from the stairs.  Someone is coming up.  And another one.  I try to take in a breath, but I can’t.  I need to get out.  I’m too terrified to move.  There’s another cackle outside. More creaking.
It’s coming.
It’s not pipes.
It’s coming.

#6

 There’s nothing inside the truck.  That was my only hope.  After the second one, there are hardly any more people.  My throat feels dry and raspy already.  It’s only been five hours since I ran out of water.  I need to push through.  However thirsty I am, I have to get back to the town.  See her one more time.  I reach the top of hill and what I see in the distance shocks me.
A shadow in the distance.


I'd like to know which ones you, the readers, think are best, so comment with which one you like. I'll leave a link below to the around the world in 80 words competition if anyone's interested.  As for now....

Stay frosty!

-Joe



http://www.youngwriters.co.uk/80words-secondary-competition.php













2 comments:

  1. I liked the first one most! It had suspence and was really good. Mainly because you could make a full book out of them 80 words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the first one was definitely one of my favorites.

      Delete