Tuesday 22 January 2013

A meaningful post


(Like always, the lights dim and a camera goes to a close up of my serious face) This is a really serious post.  I want to talk about something I see a lot around my school, and have actually experienced myself.  I want to make people aware that they might be doing this to try to stop it from happening.  I'm not naming any names or saying anyone in particular is doing this, so please don't be offended or think that i'm aiming this at you.  I'm speaking to everyone here.

In the past, I've had a fair number of people snigger at me, or say something not exactly pleasant.  For example, I've been told that people have seen me walking around and called me a "droopy face" (A direct result of my heart condition, by the way.) What i'm trying to say is that, if you do this, even if you think that the person doesn't realise, or you're just having fun, that it's wrong.  If you see a person who might be a little overweight, stop before you laugh at them and consider what their day is going to be like after you do that.  

The victims of this do see it happening, and it's an extremely uncomfortable experience.  Imagine what it would be like having to stand there and pretend you don't see what's happening as four people point and laugh at you.

In addition to this, it's rarely, or probably never, these people's fault.  How would you feel if you were about to point out that person acting strangely, when someone tells you that this person is autistic?  What if that overweight person looks like that as a result of a genetic condition?  Would you make fun of me in any way if you knew it was because of my condition?  Then why would it be the same for anyone else?  You should never do that to someone, because the chances are, you've got it completely wrong and it's not their fault at all.  Besides, what good can come out of laughing at someone?

I really hope I can make a difference with this post.  All I ask is that you think back to see if you've ever done something like this, and if you have, then remember what I said next time.  If you see a friend doing it, then please tell them that it might not be their fault, however hard it may be.  If you find it too hard, then at least do not take part in the mocking.  If this kind of thing happens to you, share it on facebook or twitter so that people can see the error of their ways, and make a difference.  Even if this doesn't happen to you, I'd still be thankful if you'd share it, just to spread awareness of this kind of thing.

If this kind of thing happens to you, then my advice, although this is extremely hard, and I know I wouldn't be able to do this, would be to turn round to these people and tell them the kind of thing i've just said.  If you point out to someone (for example) making fun of your eyes that you didn't choose what they looked like, i'm sure they would shut up.  If it's a result of the condition, tell them about it.  They can't argue with facts.  If you can't do this, then simply ignore them.  However hard it is to do so, they're bound to go away after a while.  

That's just my opinion though.  The reason I wrote this was because I think this could have a real impact on the way people think when it comes to things like this.  Once again, please don't be offended by this.  I'm not talking to anyone in general.


That's all for today.  I'll talk about my book in my next post.

Stay frosty.

-Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment