Wednesday 19 March 2014

ATS funding and READATHON II

If you aren't familiar with ATS then this post won't make a whole lot of sense to you.  In short, it's a genetic connective tissue disorder (that I suffer with) that can lead to aneurysms and other complications with the arteries.  As well as this, it can cause hyper mobile joints and chronic fatigue.
To find out more about ATS read the "ATS and stuff" post through the blog archives or go here http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/geneticmedicine/Clinical_Resources/CTD/ATS%20Overview

Anyway.

So recently, Arkansas children's hospital has decided that they want to do a study on ATS, which is awesome!  As well as this, the doctors want all of the ATS patients together in America so that they can do tests on us for the study.  All of this is possibly the best thing since the guy who invented sliced bread was born, because now we can try to improve the lives of all the kids (and adults) with ATS and give them a chance to live normal lives.  I'm lucky.  I've never had to have an operation because of my heart condition, and although my life certainly isn't normal, I've got it better than some others like me.  Now, we can help those people.

Of course, this is going to cost money.  We have one foundation interested in funding the ATS study, but that isn't going to be enough.  We need you! *points at you enthusiastically*

That's why we're officially starting ATS fundraising.  We'll be using Paypal for fundraising, and hosting the donation page on a separate blog like this, named Twist Of Fate.  You'll be able to donate with your Paypal account, or with your credit or debit card, quickly and safely on the blog.  The link is below.

We're going to need a lot of funding to make this happen, so if you have any creative fundraising ideas, message me on facebook (Joseph Wills), send a Twitter to me (@Joe_Toe_Wills) or come to my home late and night and scream your requests at my bedroom window (don't do that).  Alternatively, you can email me at wills219@btinternet.com, or my mum at caterina.wills@talk21.com, and we'll arrange something.

Speaking of fundraising, I would like to ANTICLIMACTICALLY ANNOUNCE (ALTHOUGH NOT REALLY BECAUSE I'VE ALREADY TALKED ABOUT IT ON TWITTER) READATHON II: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO!!!

Yeah, I know, it's really exciting, but there's no reason to be hyperventilating.  Here, breathe into this paper bag for a while.

If you weren't around last year, I'll catch you up: around may, I held a readathon, where I pretty much just read as many books as I could for a weekend in the name of Great Ormond Street Hospital.  I consumed around 600 pages in fine reading material, and raised a great amount of money.  With last year's success in mind, I'm doing it again this year for ATS.

When:
Saturday the 5th and Sunday the 6th of April

Who:
Me, or my doppelganger

Why:
For ATS fundraising

What:
As many books from this year's Carnegie Medal shortlist, which you can view here- http://www.carnegiegreenaway.org.uk/carnegie/current_shortlist.php

How:
Well, I pick up a book and read the words inside.

I'll talk more about the readathon on facebook, twitter, here, and mostly at the Twist Of Fate (ATS fundraising if something was happening in Coronation Street and you weren't focusing on what I've written above) blog.  Keep your eyes physically glued to all of these things at once or face the consequences.

Thank you very much.  Please consider donating or fundraising for ATS!

You can find the blog here- http://atsfundraising.blogspot.co.uk/

-The corporeal form most know as "Joe"






























No comments:

Post a Comment